Wednesday, March 30, 2016

The Grass is Always Browner...


March 30.  According to the crazy calendar, today is The Grass is Always Browner on the Other Side of the Fence Day.  One might assume that this might have something to do with us dogs peeing on the fence.  But it doesn’t.  What this day emphasizes is that one should be grateful for what one HAS, and not be looking elsewhere – and assuming others are better off.   For example, I shouldn’t be coveting Frodo’s food bowl – or Paxton’s bowl.  I should be HAPPY that I even HAVE a food bowl!  My human was reading a story about a dog who lived outdoors all the time, chained to a post.  He had a horrible life.  Luckily some people rescued him, and he lived many years in a happy, healthy home with humans who loved him.  When I complain about the fact that I WANT another biscuit and I don’t have free access to food ALL the time, perhaps I should be thinking about how good I have it already!



Now mind you, Paxton was not all that happy yesterday in our pretty cushy home.  My human had to go to work yesterday – after four days off, and when she left us, she secluded Paxton in the front hall – so we PONs would not provide nursing services, licking his incision.  And if being in solitary wasn’t bad enough…he had to wear the infamous cone of shame.  Also known as the inverted lampshade.  My human debated whether he HAD to wear it – he hasn’t been all that interested in performing self-nursing care by licking his incision.  But she KNEW that she would be at work worrying all day about him licking himself to death.  So she had to decide – worry about death by licking or worry about being uncomfortable with the cone.  She opted for the cone. 



Well. Paxton was NOT impressed.  I mean he did sleep most of the day, but he was M-A-D when my human got home.  He wasn’t even going to eat – he was so annoyed with her.  But he begrudgingly accepted her apology – and realized she was only making him wear the lampshade for his own protection.  And he DID eat almost 2 cups of food.  Only because my human fed it to him by hand.  Seriously.  He really IS getting spoiled.



And finally, speaking of brown grass and plant life, my human decided on Monday to cut some trees on our property.  If one ever wanted to hear moaning and groaning and the odd bad word, one should have observed THAT circus.  Frodo and I watched the proceedings from the house, growling and barking – as if we didn’t recognize our human out in the woods.  There she was.  With a camping saw.  Cutting down 15 foot trees with trunks 8 inches in diameter.  While she was out in the woods, she found a whole area where the foliage was already cut down.  And by the evidence left behind, it appears the deer have been snacking on our property.  She just wishes they had cut down BIGGER trees.  Perhaps I need to remind her that she is lucky she even HAS trees.   We could be living in the desert.  Or the tundra.  Yup – this life in the woods isn’t all that bad.  I bet they don’t even have bunnies in the desert…



So today, take time to appreciate the life you have.  Even if you THINK you need more biscuits…



©  Linda Wozniak

No comments:

Post a Comment