Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Hey Buddy.


March 9.  Today, according to the crazy calendar, is Discover What your Name Means Day.  Of course, my name, Viktor means “the conqueror.”  How appropriate.  Paxton means “peaceful town.”  Our house is anything BUT peaceful with Bucket Head.  And Frodo?  It has no meaning.  Frodo is a Frodo.  I did find a Frode from Norway which means “wise one”- which actually fits.



I’ve talked before about how humans agonize over a name for a dog and then they call us an assortment of other names as well.  Some people have a certain type of dog, and the name is tied to the breed.  For example, a beagle would be named Snoopy.  Or a Golden Retriever would be called Midas.  Here’s a few, and let’s see if you can pick the breed that I would pick:



1.     Sparky

2.     MacTavish

3.     Rocky

4.     Pierre

5.     Hunter

6.     Queenie

7.     Chico

8.     Cocoa

9.     Rusty

10. Simba





And here are my answers – although I am sure there could be more than one!



1.     Dalmation – the official firehouse dogs!

2.     West Highland White Terrier OR a Scottish terrier

3.     Boxer – of course

4.     Poodle.  Just because

5.     Labrador Retriever OR one of the other sporting breeds

6.     Corgi  - of course

7.     Chihuahua – of course

8.     Chocolate lab – of course

9.     Irish Setter

10. Lowchen – the Lion dog



If I was going to rename Frodo, I would call him Einstein.  And Paxton?  He would be Buddy.  In Nova Scotia, people call people Buddy all the time.  It’s actually quite funny.  “So did Buddy show up to clean your furnace?”  “What time is Buddy going to deliver that package?”  "Did you see Buddy at the coffee shop got a haircut."  Everybody is a Buddy here.  It’s a popular dog name, but I really thing Pax could be a Buddy.  I think I’ve even heard my human call him Buddy – as in “Come ON Buddy, it’s time to poop.”



Remember, whatever name you pick for us, can be dangerous.  Remember that dog named Grim – and how he ended up meeting an early demise.  Naming your dog Evil or Stormy or Chaos COULD be dicey.  Although I DO think Chaos has a nice ring.  Maybe I’ll make that my middle name.  Viktor Chaos. Just call me VC for short.  Wait until my human gets home and finds my new name.  I just hope she doesn’t buy me any monogrammed gifts while she is at Crufts.  I must text her. I had a short message from her yesterday letting me know she arrived at her destination across the pond.  She told me she has seen quite a few sheep.  Frodo and I just rolled our eyes - we're all about the guilt gifts - not the sheep. The show doesn't start until tomorrow - she had better be resting up today so she is ready to begin her Crufts adventure.  And we will continue with OUR adventures here...



Have a good one!



© Linda Wozniak

No comments:

Post a Comment