Thursday, August 3, 2017

A wonderful life. Or my discovery of bones.




You know, I've always thought I had a pretty good life.  Food in my bowl, roof over my head, toys to fetch, a human bed on which to sleep,  fun "siblings" to play with (should the urge arise), a pretty well-behaved human - yup I thought life was pretty sweet. But now my perfect life is even MORE perfect.  I was introduced to something I never had before.  And frankly, I can't believe I have waited for 5 years to discover this.  The amazing discovery?  Bones.  Real, honest to goodness non-vegan, non-vegetarian meaty rib bones.  Where has my human been hiding these all my life?

It started when she went to the pet store to get our food.  She has decided the antlers are obviously not for us - or at least not for Mr. Brittle Teeth Einstein.  Now we DO chew on those hard nylon-type bones, but the idea of us ingesting plastic isn't a great concept either.  There are vegetable chews that SEEM really hard - but my human remembers buying them once and within MINUTES we had eaten large chunks.  So she decided to buy some REAL frozen bones at the pet store.  Yeah - I KNOW she can get them cheaper at the grocery store, but the salesguy was good.  So she happily came home with 5 lbs of frozen bones - which actually cost less than one nylon-type bone.  Go figure.

It was a gorgeous day, so she took us all out on the deck.  And each of us got a BIG rib bone.  And our heads just about exploded.  Well, mine did.  And so did Einstein's.  Mr. Dainty Chew - the FG, took his over to a corner and politely nibbled.  We PONs on the other hand, attacked the things.  Einstein was so excited, he didn't even want to lie down.  My human sat and watched us like a hawk about to swoop down on a mouse.  If it appeared we were getting TOO excited and breaking off TOO big a piece, she was prepared to take it away.  She watched as we pawed and gnawed and chewed.  Honestly, I now know what dog heaven looks like.  The path is lined with REAL bones.

Anyway, after about 10 minutes, the FG had had enough.  But we PONs were FAR from finished.  My human watched us a while longer and then went in the house to get some biscuits.  She traded a biscuit for each bone, collected them and put them in a bag back in the freezer.  By this point we were huffing and puffing as if we had just completed a marathon.  And then I had to lick and remnants off my paws.

I think the key in giving these things to us IS to watch us.  The LAST thing we need is one of us swallowing a bone.  Now THAT would be bad.

Anyway,  I always knew I had a pretty wonderful life - and who KNEW it could even get better?!  Peace and paws up!

No comments:

Post a Comment