Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Tall ships.







OK. I am ANNOYED.  REALLY annoyed.  Since July 29 and until today, there has been a big event  in Halifax.  It was the Tall Ships regatta - and 30 huge masted vessels from 10 countries were in the harbor for all to see.  The waterfront was bustling with crowds who came to see the ships, listen to music, eat some great food and possibly have a beverage.  Or two.  Every few years a gathering of ships like this takes place - and at the end of the festivities, there will be a giant Parade of Sail.  Which happens today.

So all weekend I was hoping to go.  But no.  My human was "busy."  Then suddenly, last night, she started feeling badly that she had not driven into the city to see the ships. So after supper, she got ready and looked at each of us.  She knew if she took me and not Einstein, he would bark until we came home.  And ditto if she took him and not me.  And if she took BOTH of us, the FG would go crazy. And taking all three of us would be suicidal.  So that left one choice.  The FG got to go.  

My human gave me and Einstein some special treats and off she and the FG went to the big city.  Now keep in mind that the Halifax waterfront, which boasts one of the world's longest boardwalks, was TEEMING with people.  MOBS of people.  She parked far away and started walking toward the ships and all the action.  And the FG IMMEDIATELY pooped.  She figured that would happen - that's why she parked so far away.  She S & D'd (scooped and disposed) and off they went. 

So the VERY first people they passed had to stop and pet the FG.  And of course ask what he was.  He was timid for .0008 seconds and then wanted to jump all over them.  And that set the stage for walking through the crowd...

Mr. Sociable wanted to say hello to EVERYONE.  My human wished she had a T-shirt saying "He's a Berger Picard."  Everyone was asking what he was.  At one point he saw another dog and my human said you could see the thought bubble over his head:  "One of my kind!"  Of course he wanted to greet every dog too.

But in the end, he really WAS pretty well behaved.  My human did not end up in the harbor and no small child lost an ice cream cone.  Came close.  But didn't.

As my human was headed back to the car, and the less populated area, she passed a couple sitting on a bench.  The woman asked you know what.  And just as my human replied, the man, who had an accent said his brother has one.  "Where?"  my human asked him.  "In POLAND" the man replied.  Poland?! Seriously?!  What's his brother doing with a Picard in POLAND?!  His brother should have a PON!!!!!!  I think he just said that.

The FG came home and went right to sleep.  He was exhausted.  And Einstein and I got MORE treats.  So we were happy.  But I STILL would have liked to have seen the ships....Next time.

Peace and paws up!

No comments:

Post a Comment