Saturday, August 19, 2017

Picture this




Today is August 19 and according to the crazy calendar, it is World Photography Day.  It’s probably called that because on this day in 1839, the first publicly available photography process was introduced in France by a man named Louis-Jacques-Mande’ Daguerre.  The daguerreotype photo process involved copper plates and mercury vapours and the result was a shiny, mirror-like photo, that needed to be placed under glass to protect it. They were usually housed in small ornamental cases. It was a process that was used for a short time and was later followed by ambrotypes and tintypes.

Reportedly, Daguerre was a dog lover and some say he may have taken the first pet portrait, of his dog, Mdor. So he’s the guy I should blame for my human’s obsession with taking our photos. Thanks Louis.

Some of you may recall that my human collects old dog stuff.  Old books, wooden carvings of dogs, old prints, old postcards, old figurines – and old photos.  She doesn’t know who the people or dogs are in the photos– but clearly they were loved and their humans wanted to be sure they were immortalized in photos.  I thought you might enjoy seeing some of her collection – she collects ANY old dog photos – not just breeds she is or has been owned by.  The reality – it’s not too easy to find early photos of some of us rare breeds.  But that doesn’t mean she isn’t always on the lookout!,

If there was info on the photo, I am including it.  If there was no info…I’m making it up.

This first photo was labelled as "Austin." One happy girl and one happy dog.


And then we have Bennie Saunders.  No.  Not Bernie Sanders.  Bennie Saunders.  It says he is the son of Stephen and Abbie Robinson Saunders. He's another happy kid with his cute puppy. If you happen to know Bennie - let hm know we have his photo.


Then there are these cute little girls.  No info on them - so we'll just call one girl Dorothy, the other Glenda and the dog, Toto.


This photo is actually a magic lantern glass slide.  It ALMOST looks like a Bernese Mountain Dog.  I call this one Trigger.


Check out this lad and his dog.  I call him Tiny.


Ya think a butcher's dog would weigh more....I call this one Chuck.


Then we have a photo of my human in a draft test with one of her Bernese.


This is an oldie.  It looks like the plate says Llewellen....something.  OK.  Maybe I'm crazy - but do these two look alike - or what?  The white shirt...and really, the noses are the same....


I call this one "Happy Children.  With hats".


I call this one "Frightened dog with frightened child".  Why do they look so stunned?  And is that really a PUG?


Here's why those two are frightened- they saw the "scary sisters".  With bows. Seriously - they look like something out of a Stephen King novel...


And looks at THESE scary sisters.  Wait!  That's my human and her sister - with their first dog - an Irish Setter, named Mickey!  Love the hair on my human...


So those are some of the photos in her collection.  Oh - and the photo at the top of my blog?  That's my human's grandfather.  NOW we know why she takes all these photos....

So go out and take some photos today too– especially of your dog!

Have a good one!  Peace and paws up!

No comments:

Post a Comment