Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Fifteen shades of grey

U

OK. So we PONs could be called chameleons.  Seriously.  When you see us as puppies, we are one color.  But don’t assume that we will be that color in the future.  We change coat color more than Lady Gaga changes hair color.  But we do it naturally.

When Frodo was a baby, he was mostly grey in color.  And then, he turned mostly cream color, with grey highlights.  And NOW he has gone almost BACK to his original color – with lots more grey.

And me?  As a little pup,  I was an adorable dark charcoal color, with creamy legs.  THEN I turned a light grey color – still with those creamy legs.  I’m STILL a light/medium grey with those creamy legs – but I THINK I’m starting to get darker again.  Which is good.  I’ll be harder to find in the dark.  My human is jealous.   Her hair is definitely NOT getting darker.  Unless it is with chemical assistance.

There ARE other breeds of dogs who change coat colors.  Like Dalmations.  Did you know they are born WHITE?!   And their spots come out around three weeks.  Cool.

Sometimes people see me and think I’m Frodo and vice versa.  These are the non-observant humans.  Besides the difference in color, Frodo has a medium tail and I have a nubby little tail.  I was born with this little tail.  Frodo says that’s not the only thing I’m missing.  Very funny.

Anyway, after watching the PONs at Westminster, one does tend to look closely at oneself in the mirror.  Oh and by the way – the Beagle who won the Grand Prize – yeah, he’s from Canada.  Apparently he was a surprise winner.  I don’t know why it was a surprise – I mean aren’t these things judged fairly?  Isn’t it ANYBODY’S game?  I’m not a huge fan of Beagles.  I mean they’re nice to look at – but they howl.  Or that’s what I’ve heard.  But kudos to Miss P.  And if a PON didn’t win it, I guess a Canadian dog is a good second best.

Oh and by the way - I bet my title caught your attention – but I bet the subject is not exactly what you thought!

Have a good one!


©  2015 Linda Wozniak

No comments:

Post a Comment