Monday, February 23, 2015

My Inner Lassie


Some reading this may not remember the Lassie movies.  My human used to watch them as a kid.  Lassie was a collie who did all kinds of brilliant and remarkable things.  There wasn’t much that Lassie couldn’t do.  In a classic reference to the dog super-hero,  a line has circulated for years about Lassie’s ability to communicate with humans.  “What’s that Lassie?  Timmy fell down the well?”  It seems Lassie could communicate with humans and they could understand him - all the time.  And most importantly – Lassie could detect danger and rescue people…

In contrast, well, I’m not sure I could be put in the super-hero category.  Actually none of us could…

Yesterday morning, before daybreak, when my human went to take us out, she QUICKLY saw that the icy conditions had not miraculously disappeared over night – so our morning jaunt would be restricted to a quick “do your business and let’s get back in the house.”  I was the first to go.  My human slowly walked on the icy driveway– a turtle would be going MUCH, MUCH faster.  But after the broken wrist on the ice last winter, she is understandably cautious.  We climbed over a snow bank – which is now a rock solid pile of ice.  I quickly “did my thing” and headed back toward the house – because breakfast had not yet been served.  I was on a leash.  When my human got to the ice wall, she sat down to go over – because the driveway on the other side was shear ice.  And what did I do, seeing my human in this rather odd position trying to get over the ice?  Was I concerned?  Did I try to help. Nope.  I ran over to her and started rolling on the ice and snow next to her.  I was pushing her and rolling and having a truly joyful moment.  I was getting tangled in my leash.  Spraying ice everywhere.  My feet were in the air.  Despite my human’s NEW peril – a crazed dog – she had to laugh.   We then crept back to the house.

Now it was Frodo’s turn.  Same routine.  Although he wasn’t on a leash.  He’s more trustworthy in the dark than I am.   He bounded over the ice wall after he did his thing, and raced, well….slid back to the house.  He turned back and just watched my human sitting on the wall, and slowly climbing down.  Maybe he WAS concerned, but he certainly didn’t go to see if there was a problem.  He barked at her to get moving and open the door – he wanted breakfast.

And last, but not least – Paxton.  He followed the same drill.  Human and dog over the wall.  He did his thing – and headed back toward the spot on the ice wall to get down to the driveway.  The same spot my human had been sitting on to climb over- twice before.  And what did Paxton do?  He peed on it.  So now my human had a choice.  Sit in pee or go further down the ice wall.  She chose the latter.

Now obviously my human was THANKFULLY not injured or in serious danger.  But none of us were particularly helpful or concerned.  I do like to THINK in an emergency situation I would be able to channel my inner Lassie and come to my human’s rescue.  Especially if she had treats in her pocket...


©  2015 Linda Wozniak

No comments:

Post a Comment