Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Harold passed. And I'm being obedient.




Well. It seems that my human is taking this obedience training fairly seriously.  She has been working with us every day.  Well - at least for the last 3 days.  We'll see how long this lasts.  All I know is that Velcro dog must have done something really well yesterday - there was much ooooohing and praise.   I think he finally figured out that to get a treat you don't WALK on the broad jump - you JUMP over it.  Did I ever mention that Velcro dog is QUITE brilliant, but also just a little bit lazy?  I mean if HE sees a bunny or bird, he will run just a bit and then heads back to my human.  He knows the likelihood of catching them (especially the birds) is fairly low, so he lazily gives up.  Not me.  I'm always up for a chase.  And I don't give up easily.  The word lazy would never be used to describe me!


And as for MY training - well I have actually shocked my human.  She seemed surprised that I remembered how to do things - despite the fact that we have been on a training hiatus for quite some time until now.  The problem with me is definitely NOT laziness - in fact, the issue is more about slowing me down.  Did you say heel?  Well let's move at the speed of a race car.  Move it human.  Did you say "get ready" - which is the command to sit in heel position?  Watch me flip 3 feet in the air to get in position. I love this stuff.  Except for retrieving that fancy new dumbbell that she bought at Crufts.  It's too nice to give up. So I need some work on that.  But if my human can harness my enthusiasm JUST a bit so I can give my brain a chance to catch up, I could do pretty well.

Both of us DO enjoy training because let's face it, training equals treats.  Now some people argue that if you give your dog treats to train him, he won't do the work when there are no treats.   To which I say - would YOU go to a job where you didn't get paid? And when you go, do you get a paycheck EVERY day? It's all about rationing the treats, and learning how to use them effectively.  All I know is that I am a PON, and treats WORK for me!

Yesterday we got some amazing news.  Harold passed his exam. He is officially inspected and good to go for another two years.  THANK GOODNESS.  My human was worried that Harold, who is now 10 years old, and is beginning to show signs of rust, would require some major surgery to pass his Provincial Safety Inspection.  I guess they didn't take points off for dog hair and olfactory art on the windows.  My human had visions of having the bright orange "failed" sticker for all the world to see.  But he passed!!!!!  She was so happy.

Well time to study the obedience rule books.  I do that while my human is at work.  Cough. Cough. Sure I do!

Have a good one!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment