Saturday, April 16, 2016

Squirrels, ticks and wax dogs. An odd blog.



April 16.   On this day in 1850 (which I’m SURE my human remembers)  Madame Tussauds died.  The wax lady.  She was born in France, and her mother was the housekeeper to a physician who was skilled in creating wax figures.  Long story short, she became very good at this unique “hobby” and in 1835 opened her first museum of wax figures in London.  Since then, museums have opened all over the world.  But it wasn’t until 2006 that the museum featured its first dogs.  Seriously.  It took them long enough.  Mind you, the first cat wasn’t made until last year.  And who do you think first dogs were?  None other than my hero, Lassie – and Bullseye – the Bull terrier from the Target store.  I want to know how I can get in the museum!

Well we have figured out why our bird feeder is constantly empty. Our squirrel-proof feeder isn't exactly squirrel-proof.  I guess we have skinny squirrels - because we SAW one who had managed to get INSIDE the "fenced off area" that surrounds the food bin.  Yup.  There he was - having a wonderful meal.  Frodo and I raced out to the feeder the other day, and we scared him away.  Mind you, to be honest, we didn't even NOTICE him - we were too busy chasing the Mourning Doves who were on the ground.

A big box arrived in the mail yesterday.  APPARENTLY it is a bunch of non-toxic, organic, natural pills that Frodo and I will be taking to ward off fleas and ticks this summer.  My human is a BIT obsessive about not loading us with toxic chemicals.  Several years ago, she gave us a flea and tick medication from the Vet - and Frodo had a reaction - so since then, it's been us against nature.  But she had several recommendations for this new natural voodoo  concoction - so we will be starting it.  So far, despite the fact that we live in the boonies - and run in the woods, we have not been plagued by ticks.  But we know we have just been lucky - they ARE out there.  Ticks are horrid little creatures - they attach themselves to a dog - or even a human and suck blood.  Like mini Vampires.  But bad enough that they suck blood - they can also spread diseases like Lyme.  Honestly, I would like someone to tell me ONE good thing about ticks.  I know we are all God's creatures - but CLEARLY, God was having a bad day when he created ticks.  Anyway, our new hocus pocus pills have arrived - and we'll be reporting on their effectiveness.  If they work - maybe they can pay me to do commercials...

Well it's Saturday - so time to get my human moving.  I am SUCH an excellent Personal Trainer.

Have a great day.  I know I will.  I always do.

©  Linda Wozniak  

No comments:

Post a Comment