Friday, April 29, 2016

Paw-ternity leave.


So my human heard this interesting story on the radio on her way in to work the other day.  Velcro dog and I heard it too - we were listening at home.  It seems that a few companies in the UK have started a new practice - they provide "paw-ternity" leave to new pet owners. It allows new pet owners anywhere from 10 hours up to 3 weeks to help a new pet settle in at home.  So far it looks like all the companies who provide this paid time off are businesses in the pet industry.

In the US, not everyone even gets human maternity leave - so this pet leave idea may be hard to argue.  In Canada, the benefits for humans seem to be better - so I think I need to start the paw-ternity campaign here.  Especially when I get my new puppy.  Whenever and whatever that may be.  There have been LOADS of suggestions for my new puppy.  My human is afraid that if any breeder of ANY dogs, reads my blog, we will never get a puppy.  She said I had better start behaving - a lot of breeders would think our home is too crazy.  I think that's nonsense - I would be an excellent big brother to a puppy.  OK.  Maybe Frodo would be excellent.  I would be an entertaining, adventurous big brother.  Now I'm not so sure any CAT breeder would place a kitten here though...  with good reason...And bunny breeders....fat chance on that one.  Which makes me wonder - is the paw-ternity leave ONLY for dogs?  Do cats count?  I think they should.  But I'm not so sure about pet lizards.  Or pet tarantulas.  Or fish... I'll have to figure out the rules for this leave thing.  But if we exclude certain pets, is that being prejudiced?  Oh maybe this is going to be more challenging than I thought...

Anyway - it's Friday - so two days of freedom with our human.
ALTHOUGH...there IS that obedience lesson...

©  Linda Wozniak




No comments:

Post a Comment