Thursday, April 7, 2016

The third sign...


The past few days I have written about some "signs" that we felt were from Paxton.  The sun breaking through the clouds..the geese and the ducks.  Now some would argue that those are coincidence.  That we are looking for things to reassure us that he is OK.  And perhaps that is true.  But if you believe that life is never really "over" - you do believe in signs.  My human is a pretty scientific person.  Especially in her job.  She wants to see "proof."  But she does believe in signs.  And she does have faith.  And they say that things come in threes...

Yesterday morning, my human was showering to get ready for work.  Frodo and I are quite happy with the new rule that has changed - the "dogs aren't allowed on the bed rule."  Well - I'm not so certain the rule has really CHANGED - but we certainly took advantage of the chance while my human was taking her shower.  We don't want to go anywhere NEAR the bathroom when she is in the wet glass box.  Honestly - we won't even STEP in the doorway for fear she will open the door and drag us in.  

Anyway, my human came out of the shower and was getting dressed and ready for work.  And putting on the strange human warpaint.  And she heard something in the other room. And so did Frodo and I.  And we BOLTED to the kitchen.  My human expected the riotous barking that accompanies the cavalry.  But all she heard was one bark by Frodo.  That was it.  She thought it odd, but continued to get ready for work.  And we boys came back to our cozy positions on the bed.

My human completed her ritual and went into the kitchen.  And there, in the middle of the floor, was a big tuft of hair.  Black hair.  And she looked at it.  And looked at it.  And she picked it up and threw it in the garbage.  And then she went back to the garbage and took it out and had to take another look.  Yes.  It WAS black hair....  And my human smiled...

You see, Paxton had this habit - which actually annoyed my human to no end.  Every morning, he had this habit of pulling a piece of hair off of his tail.  He didn't do it anywhere else on his body.  And he didn't do it at any other time during the day.  Just once - in the morning.  And my human would say to him "BUDDY - you are going to have a naked tail!"  And he would spit the hair out.   She tried spraying something on his tail to make him stop but it had no effect.  It's kind of like humans who play with their hair - or bite their nails.  So my human got used to picking up a hunk of Paxton hair each morning.  But the last week of Paxton's life, he never touched his tail.  He just didn't feel well.  At all...

Now some will argue that it was my hair or Frodo's hair.  I assure you.   It was BLACK.  Jet black.  And some might argue that it had been on the floor, and we just hadn't noticed it.  This was right in the MIDDLE of the tile floor.  And my human has thoroughly vacuumed twice since Paxton left us. 

You may not believe this story - but I assure you - it is not an April Fools joke.  It happened.  And honestly, we truly believe it was sign.  Our big brother isn't with us.  But he is.  And he's OK.  He's really OK...

©  Linda Wozniak

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear about Paxton! But what a lovely sign that he's still with you.

    ReplyDelete