Wednesday, August 24, 2016

A seizure.



I had a seizure.  No joke.  No beating around the bush on this topic.  And my human was beyond stressed...

It happened at 2:40AM Monday morning.  My human was asleep and she heard me making a strange chewing sound.  She quickly got up and the next thing you know, I was having a seizure.  I don't remember much about it.  It lasted less than 30 seconds - but for my human it felt like 30 minutes.  Afterward, I was confused and I barked and growled at the Hulk - like I had never seen him before.  But within minutes, I was OK.  That didn't stop my human from getting dressed and rushing me to the Animal Emergency Clinic - while the Hulk stayed home with Frodo and Elroy.

By the time I got to the Clinic, it was like nothing had happened.  I bounced in, happy and sniffing all the weird smells.

The Vet checked me over and of course, I was well behaved and totally back to being me.  I didn't have any abnormal outward symptoms of anything - my heart sounded fine, I had no temperature, my eyes responded to light, I was breathing normally.  If my human didn't report what had just happened, I looked like a perfectly healthy dog.  The Vet said to watch me for any other incidents.  She suggested I have some bloodwork done at our regular Vet - so of course my human immediately made an appointment as soon as our Vet opened Monday morning.  She likes all the Vets at our Clinic - but there is one she has known for many years - so I went to see him yesterday.  

My human had made her own diagnosis (with her honorary internet Veterinary degree) about why it may have happened.  And after the bloodwork, our Vet pretty much agreed.

Remember the gastric problems that Velcro dog and I had a little over a week ago?  Well when it went on for a few days, my human was concerned.  So our Vet prescribed an antibiotic called Metronidazole.  It's a pretty common drug. BUT - I was on it for a week - and as I understand it, some dogs build up a toxicity to it. And with that toxicity can come neurological symptoms - including seizures.  I have never been on ANY kind of medication - so it's likely my body just didn't tolerate it.  My blood tests were not totally crazy - but my liver enzymes were slightly elevated - which MAY be because of toxicity.   So now it's just a wait and see game.  If I never have another seizure - that's MOST likely what caused it.  If I DO have another...then we have to investigate further.  But our Vet agreed it probably was the medication and said he doubted I would have another one in the future...


I feel totally fine although I AM getting a little creeped out by my human watching me ALL day long.  Enough already!  

So that's MY excitement for this weekI just wanted to be sure my human wasn't bored during her vacation.  Leave it to me to keep things interesting..






1 comment:

  1. That would have been very scary! What is even more scary are the side-effects from medication! Hope this is the first and last seizure for Viktor !

    ReplyDelete