Monday, August 29, 2016

She nailed it...


The other day, Jaws  went for his last puppy shot.  He wasn't overly excited with the Vet - probably because the last time he was there, the Vet trimmed his nails.  NOT a pleasant experience for anyone.  So now my human is OBSESSED with teaching him that it's OK to have his nails cut and she is doing it gradually.  VERY gradually.  Frodo and I watched the process the other day with great interest.  We were on the other side of a baby gate - because it would NOT have worked if we were in the room.  My human has given up trying to do his nails on the grooming table.  It just didn't work.  So.  She sat on the floor - and smeared a tablespoon of peanut butter in his dog food bowl.  Then she added some of his kibble.  She THOUGHT he would be so interested in licking the peanut butter, she could do his nails.  Bwahahahahahahaha.  She didn't find this approach on the internet - it was her own wild idea and it clearly failed!  As soon as she touched his feet while he was eating, he said "I don't care HOW tasty this stuff is - I'm out."  

So then my human had to back it up - and take a different more conventional conditioned behavior approach.  Jaws was lying on the floor - and if he let her even TOUCH his foot without pulling it away, he got a kibble with peanut butter.  Then she held his foot a LITTLE longer.  If he stayed still, he got a kibble.  If he pulled away, no kibble.  After 276 tries, she then touched his nail with the clipper.  So you can see what she was trying to do.  After a few minutes she was able to do a TINY trim on three nails before they stopped for the day.  Frodo and I do not love having our nails done - but we do it without too much protesting.  I don't remember going through the gradual process - but I guess we must have.  Getting all those treats make it worth it - in fact we STILL get treats when having our nails done.

Jaws hasn't been introduced to the blow dryer yet.  He doesn't mind the vacuum cleaner - he tries to attack it.   So the blow dryer should be interesting.  He's actually a pretty bold guy.

Well I'm feeling good again today - so paws crossed it continues.  Thanks again for all of your paws-itive wishes!
I would suggest that you " seize the day"- but given my recent episodes, I think I'll stick with "Have a great day!" A really great day!







1 comment: