Saturday, March 21, 2015

Canine Craft Creations by Leonardo da Viktor


Today I decided to do a different feature on my blog because I think it’s fun to keep things interesting.  And let’s face it – we have all had enough stories about SNOW. I’m calling this blog entry Canine Craft Creations -  by Leonardo da Viktor.  OK. So I didn’t MAKE this creation – but it IS about me…

Today I’ll show you how to make a canine silhouette! And even if you’re not crafty – you CAN do this. Trust me.  If MY human can do this, you can do it!

Silhouettes are basically shadow-like images of people, animals, buildings, scenes, etc. – and they are usually done in the color black.  They were super popular in the early 1800’s – and you’ll often see them of children.  We are going to do a head silhouette – but you can do a whole body silhouette of your canine kid too.  Of course, this silhouette will be of ME.

Let me begin by warning you that head silhouettes of PONs CAN be a BIT tricky – because we have so much fur that it can be hard to make out our features.  The first time my human did this, it looked like a silhouette of a mop.  And some of you may think it still does.  But trust me – this is better than her first attempt.

First off we start with some basic supplies:
·      Dog treats and a comb or brush


·      Scissors and an X-Acto knife – or utility blade of some kind

·      Black and light cardstock paper


·      Pencil
·      Digital camera or smart phone and printer
·      Optional sticky letters and or other sticky dog decorations (like paw prints)

·      Frame to complete your masterpiece!  My human picks up old frames at yard sales and flea markets – but the dreaded Dollar Store is also a good source!


So let’s begin!

Step 1:  Have a willing dog.  



Step 2:  Comb your willing dog’s hair, so that your profile photo will show his or her features.  Have your willing dog sit – for the profile shot.  To do this, my human placed enticing treats on a chair – which were at eye level for me.  She asked me to wait – and look at the treats.  When she got a good profile photo with her smart phone, she told me I could have the treats!  She took MULTIPLE photos.



Step 3:  Print the photo in a size that will fit the frame you plan to use.



Step 4: Carefully cut out the profile from the print.  Use either scissors – or a cutting blade.  My human found that is was easier to use a cutting blade to go around my fur – but if you are good with scissors – and have a pair that is fine, you can use the scissors.





Step 5:  Take a pencil and trace the cut out profile onto black cardstock paper.





Step 6:  Again, carefully cut out the profile from the black paper.  You may wish to add some details - and be artistic!

Step 7:  With Tacky Glue, or a glue stick, adhere your black silhouette profile to a lighter cardstock and place it in the frame!


Other optional steps:  You may wish to add your dog’s name, birthdate, etc.  You can use sticky letters– or print the letters on a clear mailing label – and stick it to your cardstock.  OR – if you have really GOOD printing – just write it yourself!


And voila!  You have a vintage-looking silhouette of your canine kid! 



My human LOVES to take pictures of us (if you haven’t already figured that out!) and she also loves the look of vintage things.  So silhouettes are a fun way to take modern technology and create an old looking thing.  And the best part – it’s a shadow of ME!!!!!!  And I loved getting the treats for the photo!

If you try this with your canine kid, post your results to my Facebook page – I would love to see how they come out! If they come out great, and people ask you about them - tell them you got the instructions from Viktor the PON.  If they don't come out, tell them your neighbor's cat gave you the instructions.  Or Paxton. 


©  2015 Linda Wozniak
















No comments:

Post a Comment